AC Transit Logo
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
Report ID: 21-016   
Type: Regular - Operations
Meeting Body: Board of Directors - Regular Meeting
Meeting Date: 1/13/2021 Final action: 1/13/2021
Recommended Action: Consider authorizing the issuance of a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the purchase and installation of Automatic Passenger Counter (APC) equipment and automated analytics software.
Attachments: 1. STAFF REPORT, 2. Master Minute Order
TO: AC Transit Board of Directors
FROM: Michael A. Hursh, General Manager
SUBJECT: RFP for Automatic Passenger Counters (APC) and Analytics Software

ACTION ITEM

RECOMMENDED ACTION(S):

Title
Consider authorizing the issuance of a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the purchase and installation of Automatic Passenger Counter (APC) equipment and automated analytics software.
Body

STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE:

Goal - Safe and Secure Operations
Initiative - Service Quality

The COVID-19 Pandemic created an urgent need for AC Transit passengers to be kept informed of passenger occupancy information before boarding a District vehicle. The Department of Innovation and Technology has developed a real-time Passenger Load Information (PLI) data platform that will display bus crowding information to AC Transit passengers using their choice of online tools and mobile apps. This new PLI platform will empower passengers to make decisions regarding whether they want to board the current bus or a subsequent bus based on occupancy and the ability to social distance. This initiative will provide critical occupancy information to passengers, enhance service quality, and boost passenger confidence in AC Transit Services, and would continue to provide a beneficial service to passengers post-pandemic.

BUDGETARY/FISCAL IMPACT:

Issuing an RFP does not have any fiscal impact. Staff is working on assembling funding for this project and may include changes in the mid-year budget for at least partial funding. Staff has also applied for federal grant funds for the project. Cost estimates are not included in this report to ensure RFP responses are competitive.

BACKGROUND/RATIONALE:

Approximately 80% of the District's vehicles are currently equipped with various types of APCs and are distributed across all four (4) operating divisions. The goal of this project is to install APCs in the remaining 20% of the District's vehicles and upgrade 13% of vehicles which have outdated software/fir...

Click here for full text